Smart City Hackathon Review
Organized on April 20th and 21st, 2019 under the theme of Artificial Intelligence for real urban challenges at LaFactory By ScreenDy, the 4th edition of the Smart City Hackathon was a real success. This is evidenced by the 1,607 applications submitted and the quality level of the winning projects.
At the starting point of this Hackathon, a shared conviction: Allow young people to compete with ingenuity, offer them the opportunity to assert their determination to see concretized projects that combine utility, technicality and collective creativity and encourage the inhabitants of Casablanca to focus on entrepreneurship whose stakes for the development and prosperity of the metropolis are well established … the ultimate goal is to provide a framework for reflection to enable collective intelligence to express itself and build together a dynamic of innovation.
As part of the Smart City Africa Casablanca and imagined by Casablanca Events & Animation, in partnership with Hack & Pitch, this creative, participatory and unifying event attracted more than 1,607 candidates. Among them, 222 were able to win a participation in this fourth edition. Record figures that testify to the interest of the inhabitants for this initiative and which place this 4th edition at the top of the Hackathons of the city in terms of participants.
The 2019 Smart City Hackathon has taken on many new fronts. First of all, by an inspirational workshop – an essential phase to sensitize candidates to the theme – organized before the Hackathon; But also, because this 4th edition took the form of an “increased Hackathon” which allowed to associate as well citizens from Casablanca as big groups such as IBM and Microsoft and public actors such as the Wilaya of the region Casablanca -Settat, the Casablanca Council or the General Consulate of the United States who were present to accompany the participants during their reflections.
After 36 hours of intense brainstorming sessions, studious development phases and a short night, these two days rich in exchanges and diversity ended with the emergence of 31 ambitious projects. With the common thread of having to provide answers to the following question: How Artificial Intelligence can provide concrete solutions to the challenges facing the city? The different teams divided into three challenges focused on the defined issues of traffic, environment and security in Casablanca.
The jury of the event made up of experts from the field including representatives of the municipality of Casablanca, selected the 4 winning projects and 3 favorite projects as it was difficult to decide between:
Category: Environment – Smart Solar Street Light
- A renovation of public lighting to fight against light pollution and save energy through a technology that consists of the installation of rotating solar panels to power the street lights of the city. They will also light up automatically, thanks to a twilight regulator.
Category: Security – Weca safe
- An app that can detect people in danger through the city’s cameras, dispatch relief supplies, connect to smartphones of people around and assist them with avatars to provide first aid.
Category: Traffic – E-zy park & Sweet Park (Exaequo)
- E-zy Park: An application that allows individuals to make available their packing places and indicating to its users the free parking spaces in the car parks and garages of buildings.
- Sweet Park: An application that allows you to book a seat and buy a parking ticket and recharge the time from your smartphone, without moving to the ticket machine.
- A geolocated application dedicated to the promotion of historic sites and monuments in the city.
I am safe
- A mobile application that allows one-click to alert police, ambulance, rescue in case of emergencies.
Lost & found
- A search engine that centralizes the objects found in Casablanca to return them to their owners.
The 4 winners of this 4th edition won a 4 days support within a Bootcamp LaFactory by ScreenDy to accelerate their projects and were given a laptop. The most deserving winners will also be able to apply to the CGC-accredited LaFactory by ScreenDy “scalerator” program, in order to benefit from the Inov Invest Fund which consists of a grant of 200.000Dhs. The projects “coup de coeur” will be accompanied by Hack & Pitch until reaching the stage of maturity.
And after such a success and with so many convincing projects, Casablanca Events & Animation does not intend to stop in such a good way. We are looking forward to seeing you soon for the next edition of the Smart City Hackathon, which promises to be awe-inspiring!